Our story

Dennis & I (Darlene) have created this blog to share with all of our friends and family our journey to adopt. The journey began when we met, fell in love and our desire to begin our family. We struggled for 6 years unsuccessfully to have children. Talk of adoption was something we had always considered and in April of 2007 we thought heaven had opened up when we were introduced to a birth mother who wanted to have us adopt her son. After several months of supporting her and her other child throughout the pregnancy our dreams fell apart when the birth mother scammed us not only out of our money but broke our hearts into a million pieces. Dennis was left to pick up the pieces and has reassured me every step of the way with his love and never ending devotion to our dreams of having a family.

Dennis and I started the long process of adopting from Kazakhstan and in 2008 we meet our son Nicholas.

We are now beginning the long process to adopt a sibling for Nicholas and it looks like Russia is where we will be heading next and hope in 2010 we meet our child!

We hope you will join us on our journey as we will do all our updating on this site. As always your love, prayers, good wishes & support mean the world to us. Thank you for being such an important part of our lives.







Saturday, September 6, 2008

A few more visits..................

Thursday
So a few highlights are Nicholas actually tapped my knee and called me Momma to help him with a toy he was playing with – I was in heaven – of course no one was around but then while talking to Natalia he did it again and she was so excited and happy and spoke with him in Russian telling him all good things I’m sure.

Friday
I took my hubby out for dinner for his birthday last night – we ventured to an Italian restaurant that some UK guys told us about and they also said it had an English menu – nope no such luck – we were lost and the waitress could see we didn’t know how we were going to do this so she went and got another person who we thought worked at the restaurant but she actually did not – she was having dinner with her boyfriend and was more than happy to help us – reading the pasta dishes for us – we had a great meal and thanked her very much for her kindness – we offered to buy them drinks but they graciously declined.

Saturday
Today was a rather interesting visit with Nicholas in the morning. We had someone new with us to work on our forms for the Embassy, etc. so while Dennis was reviewing the paperwork I was playing with Nicholas and he was constantly testing me to see how much I would let him get away with – anytime I wouldn’t let him do what he wanted or touch something I didn’t want him to touch he would do what I can only call a tantrum – slam back on the floor which meant he hit his head hard to the floor and was wailing – now while this is unsettling enough to me imagine knowing that this person is in the room and is witnessing the tiny little meltdowns our otherwise happy little boy was having………………………I of course did not want to give in to Nicholas just to stop the screaming and crying yet I knew all eyes were on me to see why my precious little adorable son was screaming……………….this happened several times and I was getting those looks from the husband like “what the hell are you doing” so I was feeling the pressure………..needless to say when Dennis was finished with the paperwork and started to play with Nicholas he got to experience the meltdowns as well – he was just not a happy camper today and this was really the first time we really had to deal with this and although we know this is normal testing (or so I was told by the other parents who have children already) & even the women came over to speak with him in Russian – she said this is common with a little older children because they know they are working this new situation they are in…………………………………all in all a tough morning for the new parents…………………hoping for a better afternoon as we don’t get to visit with him tomorrow…………….

We were also advised this morning that our court date changed from Wednesday the 10th to Tuesday the 9th - YES we are getting closer to having Nicholas as our son even sooner!!!!

6 comments:

Angela said...

Great photos! Seems like kids are always looking for boundaries . . . and, for me, setting them is the hardest thing to do as a parent - it seems like it is constant work. It is so worth it though. I really believe that kids feel so much more secure, cared for and loved when they have reasonable boundaries. The reasonable part if not always easy to figure out. Anyway, welcome to the wonderful world of parenting.

The dinner sounds nice! So glad there was someone to save the day. We have not eaten out yet! I am sure we will at some point, but not yet.

Congrats on getting an earlier court date. How awesome is that?!

Susan said...

YAY on your court date! THAT IS GREAT! ours is in 11 more days and my hubby comes here in 8 more days!

oh, the joys of parenting...Nicholas is already feeling comfortable enough with you to test his boundaries..look at it that way. Yes, much more difficult to do when you are being watched.
Discpline is difficult, but something we all learn as we go along.
Believe me, I have a very sweet 10 year old, who can also be VERY mouthy, VERY! Its just like that poem/nursery rhyme..
"when he is good he is very very good, but when he is bad, he is HORRID!!"
you will figure it out, and so will Nicholas!
Just look at how far Andrey and Alonya have come!

I'm glad you had a nice dinner out. :)
We are spoiled because our translator always comes with us to lunch after we visit the princess, and would take us to dinner too, but we don't often go to dinner since we eat lunch so late.
Several places here have english menu's, which makes it easier on the translator to not have to read it all to us, BUT, then the waiters don't know what you are ordering anyway. LOL so you have to order off the Russian one. :)

You will already be done with court by the time Joe gets back here for court! :)

and our water is being turned off Tuesday night to friday night...aren't you jealous? :)

Joby and Marla said...

Great post!!! It is wonderful that Nicholas is feeling comfortable with you. He is calling you momma so of course he wants to try you & see how soft you are. It must be awkward trying to bond lovingly & set boundaries with other people watching. It will all work out!!!

Yeah on getting an earlier court date but I bet being called momma is the best thing of all!!!!

carole said...

I still don't know how to see my posts from u. Are there any? I'm glad I got to here about your dinner I miss spending birthdays together.About Nicholas Try something different,although he's doing normal things there will be many other times for you to discipline him. Always try to get down to their level. Try pretending to cry and lay on the floor too.

Sue said...

Happy Birthday, Dennis! The three of you look so happy together. Phil & I can't wait to introduce Nicky to sushi.

The Gobble's (Lanetta) said...

yippee on the courtdate... he's so cute!!! what a blessing!!