Our story

Dennis & I (Darlene) have created this blog to share with all of our friends and family our journey to adopt. The journey began when we met, fell in love and our desire to begin our family. We struggled for 6 years unsuccessfully to have children. Talk of adoption was something we had always considered and in April of 2007 we thought heaven had opened up when we were introduced to a birth mother who wanted to have us adopt her son. After several months of supporting her and her other child throughout the pregnancy our dreams fell apart when the birth mother scammed us not only out of our money but broke our hearts into a million pieces. Dennis was left to pick up the pieces and has reassured me every step of the way with his love and never ending devotion to our dreams of having a family.

Dennis and I started the long process of adopting from Kazakhstan and in 2008 we meet our son Nicholas.

We are now beginning the long process to adopt a sibling for Nicholas and it looks like Russia is where we will be heading next and hope in 2010 we meet our child!

We hope you will join us on our journey as we will do all our updating on this site. As always your love, prayers, good wishes & support mean the world to us. Thank you for being such an important part of our lives.







Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Happenings in Kaz..........

Here is our happy little cutie!!!!!




Sunday we went with the other couple, Chrissie & Jeremy to the “mall” which is a short cab ride from our hotel – it was another beautiful day and we came across a beautiful park with a reservoir and they were holding a very big feast type fair with food stands and music and dancing, kids rides and adult rides – none of us were brave enough to attempt the giant bungee ride though. We walked around and enjoyed the culture – it is so funny how people know we are Americans and I was even accosted by a drunken old Kazak man who was a lot more friendly then we’d like. Most people are just not friendly – no one really nods hello or gives a smile – even when went to a pizzeria – they didn’t have an English menu & in my attempts to explain what we wanted I motioned to the women behind the counter for a smile from me to her and she wasn’t having it – we were successful for the most part on getting pizza and I would guess it is the closest thing we’ll see to our pizza here!!

Monday Early visit
Nicholas we all smiles when we walked in his room – it was cute, he was fighting his caretaker to get out of her arms into ours – she was dressing him and he wasn’t having it so we did dress him together. It feels wonderful to see him react to us in such a positive way and although they tell him we are his Momma & Poppa he is still to young to understand what that really means since all he has known his caregivers. It also makes me happy that his caregivers and the baby house staff that discreetly observes our interactions with him see how well and happy he is to be with us. I’m sure they have no doubt about our love for him and that he is very happy to be with us.

Tuesday visits
We spent another great day with Nicholas………we had the cutest little example of how much he is learning from us, usually when we leave him in his room after a visit we say Paka Paka (bye bye) and give him kisses and as I am walking out of the room I turn and blow him a kiss – I have been doing this pretty much after every visit, well out of the blue he blew us a kiss when we were walking around with him – Dennis was amazed and asked how did he know to blow kisses and I explained that when we leave I do that to him – we were we so very amazed and happy!! He is starting to verbalize a bit more – much of it we don’t understand although when his caregivers speak to him he does listen very intently. We believe he is starting to understand and speak more as yesterday we were walking and he was hymning along very happily ( we did get that on video and it is priceless). I sing little tunes to him repeating his name and he does respond to it. When we picked him up at his room all the other little cuties were on potty’s and Nicholas was looking under his little bed – Dennis quietly walked up behind him and I called out Nicholas – he turned – didn’t even see Dennis standing next to him and came running. We are always amazed at things like this. Sorry if these stories are not every exciting to others but to us it is what we live for. I am writing these thoughts down as they happen when they are fresh in my mind and then post them at a later time.

Additional things we have learned or experienced. All of the automobiles here are stick shift – no automatic vehicles here. Most of the vehicles we see when we are in town are expensive cars like Lexus, Mercedes, BMW’s, and even a hummer for a wedding. Seems the people who have vehicles only buy the most expensive. They have eliminated the left side cars in country but grandfathered those in that already had them so you do see them quite a bit. Everyone here also has the most hi-end cell phones. Another thing we see all the time is when someone gets married they decorate the cars with the most beautiful flowers on the hood, roof and trunk and drive around blowing the horn.

This morning is the first time we experienced loss of power but it was only for about 20 minutes. Everyone for the most part in our group has experienced some type of stomach problem and since we are not centrally located our food choices are very limited so everyone is pretty tired of the menu at our hotel. It is a bit difficult when you don’t speak the language and they don’t have an English menu although I must admit although I never really played charades I have been doing well with communicating with folks on things – I actually surprised myself with this and am the first one to try and communicate when the need arises.

New Photos!!




Nicholas helping carrying the camara bag...............


Nicholas & Poppa playing in the play area....



Poppa teaching Nicholas how to blow bubbles - he learned quickly and loved it!!

8 comments:

Angela said...

Our driver in Almaty had an English style car, but our driver here doesn't. Now it makes sense.

People keep to themselves in public here too. I am conscious of how loud we can be as well. Everyone is definitely a lot more quiet. We actually noticed that in the airport in Frankfurt. But, the nurses at the hospital are friendly and smile. There is a little boy who has visited us a few times. He reminds me of your Nicky.

We noticed the nice cars and cell phones too - and the satellite dishes on the old wood houses.

Sounds like things are going really well with your boy - great that he is learning from you so quickly and looks so forward to seeing you.

Susan said...

I totally get your stories of Nicholas and how you get excited when he blows you kisses and when he sees you...OF COURSE you should share that. It's wonderful to hear! It's so wonderful to witness how much the kiddo's notice and pay attention too...and they can feel the love that you have for them.

I am sure he will learn english very quickly.

good for you for being the main communicator.

i had stomach issues the other day (first time in 4 weeks,though!) and took cipro, pepcid, and pepto and it passed very quickly (thank goodness)

I am so happy for you guys. you sound elated!

Our drivers cars are both automatic, and the drivers seat is on the right.
we have seen some very nice cars...merecdes suv's and escalade's too.

So glad you continue to have fun with your son as he learns to blow kisses and blow bubbles!

Karen said...

First off, your little boy is adorable. How fun that he's already responding to his name. Can you tell us what is given name is?

I remember smiling at people and never get a response back. Finally, I asked one of our Russian friends why this was. In a nutshell, Kazakhs believe that if someone smiles at them they must be nuts. Also we were guilty of wearing sunglasses in late winter/early spring (it was very sunny out)—a dead ringer for being an American. Natives only wear sunglasses during the summer. We even had little boys point at us and laugh! They also found my husband's bald head amusing. I guess we couldn't help but stick out.

carole said...

I still can't get this blog down It's so great to beable to share your days with you. I feel like I already know him.Love Carole

The Gobble's (Lanetta) said...

wow.... he's such a sweetheart...
and please contine sharing those stories... WE LOVE hearing them.. honest... made my heart jump..
praying for you always..
Lanetta

Jeannine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeannine said...

love the pictures! And of hearing of your adventures in Karaganda-- but I don't miss having to play a game of pantomime wherever I went :) Plain cheese pizza is called "Margherita" pizza there, and there is a local place that will deliver.. The receptionist at the front desk will order it for you if you ask! They also have a "veggie" pizza but sometimes the veggies that come are a little odd--we got lima beans one night..

Tricia said...

The details of your experience with Nicholas are heartwarming and very precious indeed. I think people are much more reserved in Kaz in public and are definitely sparing with the smiles. I was glad to find out that it was different with the locals who I got to know on a personal level. But we Americans definitely have a different style of having fun out in public. Interesting to see isn't it? I hope you stay away from the stomach bug.