Our story

Dennis & I (Darlene) have created this blog to share with all of our friends and family our journey to adopt. The journey began when we met, fell in love and our desire to begin our family. We struggled for 6 years unsuccessfully to have children. Talk of adoption was something we had always considered and in April of 2007 we thought heaven had opened up when we were introduced to a birth mother who wanted to have us adopt her son. After several months of supporting her and her other child throughout the pregnancy our dreams fell apart when the birth mother scammed us not only out of our money but broke our hearts into a million pieces. Dennis was left to pick up the pieces and has reassured me every step of the way with his love and never ending devotion to our dreams of having a family.

Dennis and I started the long process of adopting from Kazakhstan and in 2008 we meet our son Nicholas.

We are now beginning the long process to adopt a sibling for Nicholas and it looks like Russia is where we will be heading next and hope in 2010 we meet our child!

We hope you will join us on our journey as we will do all our updating on this site. As always your love, prayers, good wishes & support mean the world to us. Thank you for being such an important part of our lives.







Sunday, August 31, 2008

And some more visits........................

Friday morning early update:
Well 8 days down on our bonding time and all is well. Yesterday we all went to the Notary and yes that is a big deal in the Kaz adoption world!!! Everyone that we are working with is very helpful and kind. We have a terrific translator Natalia who is very organized and patient and will offer suggestions on places to go and things to do which is nice. We really haven’t done much – I have read many blogs where people say they had so much down time but truthfully we don’t find that at all. We did venture to an outdoor market the other afternoon between visits and it was fun to see – it is like a flea market – old and new items to purchase and a lot of fruit stands with delicious fruits and yes they have do have a lot of fish (not on ice) just sitting out to buy – pretty amazing to see. We also walked one night to the same market area – most all the stands were closed but we ate under a tarp covered seating area and the woman was cooking the meat on a stick right on an open 55 gallon drum outside – it is great to experience things such as this as we never would if we were home!

Our morning visit with Nicholas was great…..I went to get him and he ran right to me which is always so heartwarming. After our visit Dennis & I walked to the money exchange then hit the outdoor market again – Dennis got his chicken on a stick which he loves. People do tend to look at us a lot as I guess we stand out – me with my sneakers – I have not seen one women wearing sneakers and they all do wear high heels!!!
They have bread/pastry stands on the street so we picked up a few treats and they are so good – different then what we are accustomed to – they are more like bread but the bread is so tasty and then they use a cream filling that is light but not like our whipped cream and very sweet. I have not worked-out once since we have been here and I’m thinking I am gaining weight since I am eating so well – I’ve been lucky with the dishes I have tried as I was thinking I would be in trouble with the food but not so much. Yes they do eat horse meat – Dennis tried it the first night and Natalia told us today that people do eat dog meat – I believe she said horse meat is very expensive and only eaten on special occasions………………..

Saturday
Again our son was thrilled to see us and we enjoy spending time with him and him with us. The weather has been great so we venture outside and walk round and round with Nicholas taking it all in – how wonderful he is and how lucky we are!!! We had a little plastic ride-on car with him for both the morning and afternoon visits which was fun to watch him with…………….Everything is going along smoothly and we have a tentative date for court but it is not confirmed – could be September 10 or 11th……………………
We also are waiting on confirmation on when Nicholas will able to come home to us and the tentative date for that is around 10/7. So once we all that in place we are well on our way to being back home and Dennis will return to pick up Nicky and bring him home!!
Here are a few more pictures………….









10 comments:

Patrick & Eileen said...

It's great to hear what you've been doing. You're keeping busy!

Super cute photos!
Eileen

Matthew Ruley said...

You all look so so happy!

Karen said...

What a sweet, sleepy little boy. He looks very healthy too. What a blessing.

Tricia said...

It sounds like you are enjoying yourselves. He is such a cutie pie. Keep the pictures coming!

Angela said...

The last photo is the best! We ventured out to the supermarket for a while on our own yesterday. It was good - no international incidents!

Maybe we will walk to the park today.

It is amazing to see things like you described - crowds of babushkas selling flowers on the sidewalk just outside of the florist, lots of high heels and some really low-cut tops, and those confounding Cyrillic letters.

I agree about the down time. Somehow it feels like we are always doing something.

McMary said...

It sounds like you are having a great time and being well cared for. You have a beautiful little boy--so cute.

Susan said...

aww love the pics of your sweet baby boy....

Sean has had horse 3 times, twice in soup, and once in a dish and it was not expensive. Isn't that funny...different regions i guess.

wow...how wonderful to have such a fast court date and be home so soon!!!! I'm glad things are going well...yes the bread is fab.

food is good, and I haven't excrecised either, and weird thing..nor do i miss it.
but yet my jeans are falling off? I don't get it..all i can think is that because i can't put them in the dryer. I do not think i am losing any weight either.

my routine is way different than at home but yet i am happy beyond words--just like you!

we have not been to the notary, Tatiana does that for us...

glad you are so blissfully happy and your son looks the same way.
God is indeed WONDERFUL!

XOXOOXO

Anonymous said...

See, time will fly and you will be home before you know it. I especially like the photos of Nicky behind the wheel and on his own little foot propelled thing! Glad you are both enjoying time and taking in the experience.:)
Heidi

Karen, Glenn, Allie, Max, and Sam said...

Great to hear that things are going so well. He is so adorable, but of course we are partial to 16-month-old little boys! :-) When you have two visits a day, it does eat up a tremendous amount of time -- doesn't seem like it would, but we felt the same way (and we were thrilled with the 2 visits). You'll be home as a family soon!

Kim said...

Wow - day 8 already. That is great! Great to read that you are all doing wonderfully!