Our story

Dennis & I (Darlene) have created this blog to share with all of our friends and family our journey to adopt. The journey began when we met, fell in love and our desire to begin our family. We struggled for 6 years unsuccessfully to have children. Talk of adoption was something we had always considered and in April of 2007 we thought heaven had opened up when we were introduced to a birth mother who wanted to have us adopt her son. After several months of supporting her and her other child throughout the pregnancy our dreams fell apart when the birth mother scammed us not only out of our money but broke our hearts into a million pieces. Dennis was left to pick up the pieces and has reassured me every step of the way with his love and never ending devotion to our dreams of having a family.

Dennis and I started the long process of adopting from Kazakhstan and in 2008 we meet our son Nicholas.

We are now beginning the long process to adopt a sibling for Nicholas and it looks like Russia is where we will be heading next and hope in 2010 we meet our child!

We hope you will join us on our journey as we will do all our updating on this site. As always your love, prayers, good wishes & support mean the world to us. Thank you for being such an important part of our lives.







Saturday, May 9, 2009

Finally an update..........................

It has been quite a while since I last posted but believe me when I say it's not for lack of wanting or trying to post but more like........... life with a toddler.

Nicholas is doing fantastic.

Pretty much since his Baptism in January Nicholas has had every childhood illness - ear infections, double inner ear infection, pink eye, more ear infections well you get the idea - through it all he pretty much was great with it all except when he had to get 2 shots in his butt 2 days in a row - the second day he said to the doctor - no. no hiney - it was pretty cute although he cried & cried but he needed the shots as that is how bad the ear infection was.

So much to update on so I'll try and get it all in. We changed day cares in February and I'm oh so very happy I did it. Originally I used one that my office was affiliated with and went in with an open mind since alot of co-workers use the daycare, however it was not what I wanted for Nicholas and although I didn't want to make another change so quickly I felt I had to do what was best for the little man. Nicholas did super with the change and we are all very very happy with his new daycare.

Nicholas has experienced alot of his firsts with us.....Another was his first Easter which included a celebration of his 2nd Birthday............Nicholas is now 2 and although he is a great kid those terrible two's do creep in & yikes it is tough.

Overall though he is truly a wonderful, happy and very loving little boy
He is speaking incredibly well & learning news phrases quickly - like last night when he told Dennis " wait,wait one minute" with his little index finger and all (that one is one I use often when preparing dinner since when when we get home in the evening he has no patience and I'm constantly telling wait , wait one minute!!

Nicholas is very friendly - he is a favorite for our local garbage men so much so that they look up at the window for him - they wave and blow the air horn much to Nicholas' delight - he in turn waves , says hello and blows kisses - they really get a kick out of it. He has so many wonderful qualities and his Mom can go on an on and I often have to stop myself when someone does ask about him because I just love to share how well our little man is doing.....................

Motherhood is wonderful and I've dreamed about it for such a long time..... I do take the time to take it all in even when it is so very hectic - being a working Mom I find is oh so very hard but I think I have it to someone of a routine for both him & I and again I have worked it so Nicholas never (almost never) realizes how overwhelming it can be at times.

My wonderful husband and the best father ever won a trip to Mexico for being a top performer last year, which was amazing since he took time off when we went to Kaz then again to pick up Nicholas so to achieve such praise was really, really wonderful and shows how hard he worked last year so we could afford our adoption - it really was special.

So off we went to Mexico with the Little man in tow as we could not imagine not having him with us. Since Nicholas has been home he has not been with anyone or anywhere that we are not all together - it is six months and we are just not ready to even go to dinner without him with us but oh yes soon....... Momma & Poppa could use some alone time but just not yet anyway....................

And yes here are some photo highlights...............

Swimming lessons................since Nicholas loves baths we thought he'd love going for swimming lessons....WOW he was terrified, screamed & cried - I couldn't even stay to watch since he was screaming for me to help him........as we will find out after a few lessons and a trip to Mexico all that changed....




Meeting Great Grandma...........Dennis' fathers mother who is now 103


Whitepost farm visit and riding a pony..........and a train.............







Nicholas' first Easter..... we did an egg hunt & he quickly understood the goal...............




Spiffy looking little man on Easter Day................

Easter dinner at Grandma's




Nicholas' 2nd Birthday with a big cake for the little man.........




Nick & his new bike............


Next post Mexico & more..........

6 comments:

Susan said...

awesome update!! he is darling..Leeza just woke up so i can't write more...but KEEP THE UPDATES COMING GIRL! even if they're short and sweet..you will be happy to have them to go back to. :)
do it for your son. :)
these times go by so quickly and you'll be sad if you don't capture it and the blog is the easiest way to do it (i think!)
xoxoxo
happy belated birthday Nicholas! :)

Chris and Heather said...

Thanks for the update. He looks so old in the easter outfit! I am glad things are going well. I hope he is over the worst of the illnesses - I've heard summer is better, we'll see.

Karen said...

Happy Birthday Nicholas—great update. Sorry to hear your little man has been so sick. Ear infections aren't fun at all. But from the looks of your pictures, he seems happy and healthy. Glad you're enjoying motherhood, but I agree it does get hectic parenting and working full time.

Anonymous said...

Aw, so happy for an update! I haven't checked on you guys in awhile. I am glad to hear life is good and you were even able to have a vacation!! Nicholas looks happy and has gotten so big; hopefully you are on the other side of the hill with all the illnesses!

Tricia said...

It is so great to see an update on Nicholas! I've been checking back and wondering how you all were doing. Life with a toddler is definitely hectic and it is hard to fit in the things you used to before having a child! I love how you are gushing about Nicholas. What a wonderful feeling being a mom and loving your little guy to pieces. Happy Belated Mother's Day and congrats to Dennis, too!

Fiona McG. said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY NICHOLAS!!!!
LOVE, Christina & Fiona